Tuesday, February 7, 2012

London Food Edition

When we got into London we went to our BnB to check in and we were so tired from traveling we just wanted something quick and British to eat...So I foodspotted and found the Calthorpe Arms Pub just down the street


Wela had the Sausages, beans, and chips


I had Scampi and chips with peas (Basically breaded and fried shrimp)


------------------------

The Anchor Pub and Restaurant 
Located along the River Thames near Shakespeare's Globe Theatre
It was recommended by the guide on the river cruise we went on early in the day...He said, "Try the Chicken & Mushroom Pie...it's the best" So we went and tried it and others...


Our friend Jeannine told us to try Pimms and Lemonade if we saw it...and they had it at The Anchor!!!
It was delightful even though it was freezing out, which calls for warm drinks


Wela had a tea to warm up


Bangers and Mash with a Sweet Onion Chutney


Mini Pie and Pasty Platter: Steak&Ale pie, Steak&Kidney pie (not my favorite...kind of stringy), Chicken&\Mushroom pie, Cornish minced meat pasty (like in Harry Potter), Mushy peas, and Mash with a jug of gravy...Getting the sampler was smart because we got to try all of these things at once!


--------------------------------------

A little further down the Thames is Borough Market...I was so full from Lunch that I didn't get to try any food (which I regret in hindsight...next time) but we did get some Hot mulled wine...Just like spiced cider but wine...I could drink wine like this all the time


---------------------------------------


This meal was after the Les Miserables show when we meandered into Chinatown for a quick bite before heading back to the flat...We stopped into 
Gerrard's Chinese Restaurant

Prawn Crackers (Shrimp chips in Hawaii)...I miss these!


It was cold out so we both got soup...I had BBQ roast pork ramen with choi sum


Wela had wonton soup with choi sum


-------------------------------------------

The Clarence Pub 
Near Great Scotland Yard (Wela's Ron Weasley Photo) and on the way to Trafalgar Square.  We had really horrible timing in London eating lunch later than normal so we were starving!


Wela had an express lunch of Fish cakes and chips...The fish cakes were very fluffy and not as condense as we are used to but I think I may be partial to the fluffy version.


I ordered the Smoked Pork Belly with lentils and caramelized apples...If you can tell from these pictures it should look just as delicious as it was! The pork was tender and fatty and the lentils were perfect and cooked in the pork broth which made them even better.  I'm salivating just thinking about it!



-------------------------------------------

TESCO time! 
A UK store that has everything you might want...We decided to buy things for our train ride to Paris, as well as, snacks just in case we woke up late or got back to the flat and were hungry.  They have interesting crisp flavors, I got Prawn cocktail which tasted like Shrimp cocktail sauce.  They also have a lot of ready made sandwiches and pasta for take away.








As you can see TESCO has a lot of stuff to try that we may have went a little crazy with curiosity.  Wela got some Egg and watercress salad sandwiches and Salmon Cucumber while I went more traditional with chicken and bacon.  We also found delicious Prawn crackers for 82 pence and the type of tea everyone serves in London (a huge box of 160 bags) so we'll have English tea for a while!
-------------------------------------------

BOBA JAM!!!
(Boba and Karaoke)

Wela practically pushed me out of the double-decker bus when we were stopped in front of the place on our way to watch The Phantom of the Opera.  We had to get some but we also only had 20 min. before the show so my pictures are horrible since I had the fisheye lens on.  Let me just say that this was some good boba for two reasons: 1) It was really cold so we got our boba tea HOT and 2) The tapioca pearls were cooked perfectly.


Wela got his favorite Taro flavor


And I tried a different type of milk tea: Hokkaido Milk tea which is a Caramel milk tea...It was such a good choice! I wish I had more right now!



That concludes our London Food Edition post...Next post: Paris Oh La La!

No comments:

Post a Comment